What better ways can we warm the soul than with a little home cooking and some nutritious, delicious soup......
For those of us in the NorthEast who are getting buried under feet of snow and racking up the snow days (which puts us almost into July for the last day of school), these are the times we have to stick together.
Share this with your friends or make it and bring it over to your elderly neighbor who just can't get to the store or is literally snowed in because he or she cannot shovel the walkway. Winter can easily get us down so spread the kindness and put your efforts into cooking a nice meal rather than looking out the window and cursing the snowflakes.
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 6 small white potatoes, finely chopped
- 1 16-ounce bag brown lentils
- 1 15.5-ounce can fire roasted tomatoes, diced
- 8 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1-2 cups finely chopped spinach
- salt and pepper to taste
Combine all ingredients, except the spinach, and cook on low for 2 hours.
Add the spinach about 5 minutes before the soup is done. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Original recipe: http://www.forksoverknives.com/recipes/lentil-vegetable-soup/